Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Relationship with God

Two thoughts on this subject:

First: I have six children. My relationship with each of them is different - not because I am different, but because they are each different. In the same way, we should expect that each of our relationships with God will be different because we are all different. Similarly, as we grow and change, our relationship with the Lord will also grow and change. This growth is one reason why many people who have been believers for a while no longer feel like they fit in the Christian culture. The cookie cutter relationship presented by much of the Christian culture is designed for the young and less mature. It does not have room in it for the nuances, freedom and mutuality of a more mature relationship with God.

Second: God will often place people in positions to argue or disagree with Him. Moses, Ezekiel & Peter each had experiences like that. In some cases, He does it to teach us a lesson (Like Peter and the vision of unclean animals), but in others, it is to enhance our relationship with Him (like Ezekiel cooking food over human excrement). You see, real relationship requires communication and mutual decision making. When we require God to be the only decision maker, we prevent Him and us from having a deeper relationship.

So, God will ask us to do outlandish or very difficult things - not to see if we will measure up, but to engage us in dialogue and discussion with Him. These tough requests are not designed for us to see our shortcomings as much as they are designed for us to engage in a full relationship with the Lord.

In Ezekiel's case, God told him to cook his food in a way that would make it unclean. Ezekiel protested and God all lowed him to use cow manure instead of human excrement. The issue in the interchange really had nothing to do with the fuel used for cooking. It had everything to do with God wanting a depth of relationship where they could discuss and decide together what to do.

7 comments:

  1. I believe a position of argument with the Most High is a place we inhabit by virtue of being His. We just do not know it. Thereby, we never engage in that level of relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times when I know that God is speaking to me. I do not hear a voice; yet, I know he is talking to me.
    There are times when I do not know if God knows if I am still on the earth.
    I will trust in HIM no matter I may feel or think I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reply to anonymous:

    I have only heard from the Lord 3-4 times in my life. Even then, I do not think it was an audible voice. Most of the time, (quoting a friend of mine) I just "know it in my knower." I don't even "think it in my thinker."

    Certainly, there are times when the Lord seems so distant that we do wonder if He was ever really here with us at all. In those times, I try to remember that whatever He does is out of a deep love for me, so I can yield myself to Him and trust Him even when all the lights on my internal dashboard are bright red. I think those are the times when I am matured by Him most quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. veronica coney of chicagoAugust 2, 2009 at 9:22 PM

    so I know im not alone seeking the LORD. because its been 2years in seeking day and night and i have a inner peace that goes beyond my understanding of what GOD has in store for my life. I too just keep trusting and believing. So im glad to know im not alone sometimes this walk gets a little lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with and have experienced what all of you are saying however, if you go back and read it like a first-timer or unsaved person, it sounds like Christians could come across to unsaved people as somewhat delusional. That in itself could cause some rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed.

    However, I am not so sure that how unsaved people view us should be used as a guide for our behavior. We are told in 2 Timothy that all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. So, in a sense, rejection comes with the territory of being a believer. We need to learn how to handle it, not how to avoid it.

    Likewise, if people are opposed to the message, they will always find something to be offended at, even when we behave perfectly. They will not reject the Gospel because they just don't want it. They will find some excuse to justify their rejection of the truth (Most often, it is by saying the church is full of hypocrites).

    So, I think I understand and even agree with your point. I'm just not so sure we should give the issue that much importance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could make room in our churches for this kind of "nuance, freedom, and mutuality of a more mature relationship with God"? I think many of us ache for that kind of "room to grow." Also, I've often struggled with what being God's dependent child means - I really like your thought that He wants us to engage in dialog and discussion with Him.

    ReplyDelete